Saturday 17 March 2018

First Board Experiment - PVA and Static Grass

These initial tests of methods and materials will lead me on to get the table done for the Somme game.

I have placed an order for a 4ft x 2ft Noch grass mat from ebay so will have a better idea on how this looks in the week.

Here are some photos of the first trial samples done earlier today..........



I sealed this board and let the PVA dry before applying a second neat coat.
The static has stuck well but you can see a few bald spots. Not bad and the colour is pretty good too and includes a fine mix of sharp sand. The board was airbrushed first with brown.






This is one of my high density blue foam boards that I will be using to make the base table for the Somme. The grass seems to have stuck a bit better to this material than the PVC board above.

Again a base coat of Vallejo Earth brown was applied before the PVA was applied. I did not use two coats of glue here as there was no surface tension like the PVC board above.






This is just a better photo of the PVC board.





I'll give these a proper testing tomorrow when the glue has dried and see how durable they are.

Depending on the grass mat I will decide between the two methods for the Somme table.

3 comments:

mark said...

Very nice,
Glad to see your having a productive day.
I on the other hand am trying to eat my own body weight of KFC
But it is a day well spent!

Ian said...

Your pictures look good. I coated the desert boards with a first layer of neat PVA and then a fine layer of sand ensuring there were no clumps. I then brushed it, usually to reveal bald patches. I then did a second of PVA which sealed the first and placed another fine layer on top of this. This covered the board completely without lumps and bumps. Don't know if this would work with flock.

Broeders said...

Second looked and felt a lot more stable.